Nutritional intake on the first 1000 days of life is very important. This period refers to the time of conception until the child turns 24 months. The first 1000 days of life is a critical period that can impact the child for the rest of their life.
Nutritional intake on the first 1000 days of life includes health fulfilment of pregnant mother, breastfeeding period, complementary foods period, and development period of babies. Good nutritional intake can lead to significant growth and development of babies, including good cognitive development, good body composition, excellent immunity, and gastrointestinal organs maturity. If the nutritional intake is fulfilled during the first 1000 days of life the babies will grow into healthy adults, with minimal risk of metabolic disease.
Beside nutritional fulfilment, healthy life style can help build a healthy body. 20% of overall health is based on human genetics, and the other 80% is based on the environment including nutrition and life style.
The statement above was stated in the public lecture on Thursday April 4th 2019. The public lecture was given by Prof. Dr. dr. Saptawati Bardosono, MSc, or known as Prof. Tati, in Auditorium of Health Science Building University of Indonesia Depok. It was moderated by Prof. Dr. dr. Pradana Soewondo SpPD-KEMD. The title was “Nutrition throughout the Life Cycle: Emphasize to Early Life Nutrition”.
Prof. Tati further explain that the challenge faced in nutritional fulfillment especially come from the fulfillment of nutrition in women before pregnancy, pre-pregnancy body weight, and increased nutrition needs in pregnancy. The nutrient component to be fulfilled in pregnant woman include folic acid, vitamin D, iron, iodine, omega 3, vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, and calcium. After delivery, breast feeding became the best source of nutrition for babies.
To conclude, the first 1000 days of life is a golden period to fulfill baby’s nutrition, which can give an impact to their health in the future. Therefore, it is very important to make sure mothers and their child to have an access to good food source and optimal nutrition in the first 1000 days of life.
The public lecture is followed by discussion and photo session. Students look enthusiastic during the lecture and discussion. The lecture was held as a place to share knowledge from experts and to inspire students to learn more every day.
(Public Relations FKUI)