Without research, the development of science would be stagnant. As the best medical school in Indonesia, FKUI is consistent to always develop research in various fields of biological and biomedical science. One of many proofs is the formation of research groups in the various fields. Until this point of time, there are at least ten research groups that consist of experts in the relevant fields.
The ten research groups are Sports Medicine, Metabolic-Degenerative Disease, Infectious Disease and Immunology, Reproduction and Infertility, Nutrition, Occupational Medicine, Clinical Test and Drug Development, Cancer and Genetic, Neurology and Brain Development as well as Stem Cell and Culture Manipulation.
Men sana in corpora sano. There is a strong soul inside a healthy body. This is the spirit that remains to motivate the specialist doctors in sports medicine to always undertake research. The doctors in the research group believe that physical activity with appropriate measure could foster health, fitness and physical freshness to both elite athletes and public in large.
The members of this research group include:
1. J Ade D L Tobing, Sports Medicine Specialist, MD
2. J Kurniarobbi, Sports Medicine Specialist, MD
3. Nani Cahyani Sudarsono, Sports Medicine Specialist, MD
4. Nora Sutarina, Sports Medicine Specialist, MD
5. Wishnu Hidayat, Sports Medicine Specialist, MD
- To conduct sports medicine research that has orientation in responding to the problems and needs of athletes and public.
- To develop research ability in finding solutions to the problems of athletes and public.
- To develop excellent sports medicine service with strong research foundation.
The improvement of life expectancy has brought new problems in this country, which is the increasing number of elderly people with their problems, especially degenerative disease. One of the major shares in the degenerative disease is metabolic disorder, with its most popular disease: type-2 diabetes. This research group was formed to find out the root of problems as well as their effective solution that can be implemented. The examination includes guide of management from practical clinical point of view and molecular experiment including development of adult stem cell.
To be the center of adult stem cell development in Indonesia to overcome to problem of metabolic syndrome.
- To renew and implement procedure of management of metabolic syndrome based on competency with international standard, in order to improve the degree of public health.
- To conduct research and development of adult stem cell that has international quality in order to develop medical science and technology.
- To implement clinical governance in carrying out healthcare service in Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital.
- To actively participate in determining policy in medical education and healthcare service for the improvement of quality of life in Indonesia.
Infectious Disease and Immunology
Indonesia, located in tropical area around the equator line, contributes to the high prevalence of infectious disease in the world. This condition is worsened with the low awareness of Indonesian people to take care of their health as well as prevent the transmission of infectious disease. Moreover, the increase of life expectancy has shifted the epidemiological number towards the dominance of degenerative diseases. In order to avoid big problems of high prevalence of both infectious and degenerative diseases, Indonesia has soon to eradicate the problems of infectious disease.
To be excellent research centre in science, technology and culture.
Persons in charge in this group are:
- Beti Ernawati Dewi, PhD, as the person in charge for molecular research regarding pathogenesis and epidemiology of dengue virus
- T. Mirawati Sudiro, MD, PhD, as the person in charge for development of laboratory for diagnosis of dengue viral infection
- Prof. Saleha Sungkar, Parasitologist, MD as the person in charge for the development of strategic framework to prevent and control dengue infection
- Leonardo, MD as the person in charge for development of references for laboratory activities, clinical diagnosis and treatment of dengue viral infection
Reproduction and Infertility
One of the primary functions in the formation of a family is reproduction, which in fact, aims to preserve the existence of human being. Because of this reason, almost all married pairs dream about the presence of children in their core family. However, various causes of infertility can hinder those intentions. This research group is a collaboration of obstetrics and gynecology experts and other medical team from other disciplines. They discuss, review and undertake research regarding infertility and solutions to many problems related to it.
To give support, especially in structural manner, in igniting student and staff of the faculty to be pioneers in reproduction discipline in Indonesia
- To improve service of reproduction healthcare in Indonesia, be it in personal or community, by providing scientific product based on fair and efficient research
- To improve and advance human reproduction medicine through leadership in education, research and innovative breakthrough
Staff who manage the laboratory of human reproduction are:
- Kanadi Sumapraja, Obstetrician and Gynecologist, MD, MSc (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Yuditia Purwosunu, Obstetrician and Gynecologist, MD, PhD (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Hariyono Winarto, Obstetrician and Gynecologist, MD (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Gita Pratama, Obstetrician and Gynecologist, MD (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
Nutrition has become a key role in human healthcare. With a good eating pattern and well-balanced nutrition, body immune system would be able to perform well. Consequently, nutrition has double roles that are to prevent the occurrence of disease as well as speed healing period. In light of this, nutrition and its development are imperative to be a research topic.
In this research group, a number of experts comprehensively conduct research in nutrition topics, including :
• Pre-conception and conception nutrition
• Diagnostic and interventional nutrition
• Nutrition for infants
• Nutrition in eating disorder
• Nutrition for children
• Nutrition for exercise and physical work
• Nutrition for teenagers
• Nutrition for bone health
• Nutrition for adults
• Nutrition for health of mouth and teeth
• Nutrition in degenerative process
• Medical nutrition therapy for respective clinical problems
• Community Nutrition
• Genomic Nutrition
• Interaction between nutrition and drug
Human is part of environment. There is no doubt if environment, including occupation, affects human health. Clean, neat and pollution-less environment supports human’s health and vice versa. This research group is formed in order to understand the influence of environment and occupation to human health and subsequently the synergy among them are hopefully realized.
To be a center of health and environment laboratory as well as support FKUI’s aim to be a leading education institution in Asia Pacific in 2014.
- To conduct health scoring and its relationship with surrounding environment in order to come out with recommendation and guideline to protect workers and community from the hazard of occupation and environment
- To be the referral center in Indonesia to solve the health problem related to environment
- To build a network of national and international institutions to develop prospective of occupation and environment
Clinical Test and Development of Drug
The swift development of medical science and technology hasn’t been able to solve various problems especially several diseases that the drugs have not been discovered yet. In addition, many problems in pharmacotherapy still arise, for instance is long term, high dose and high cost therapy as well as its side effect in malignancy and autoimmune disease. Consequently, patient’s compliance in consume the drug becomes low and the success of therapy is small. This research group is formed to attempt to solve those problems. This group will focus on development of drug as well as drug clinical test so that it can be applied to the patient. At the end, the research results are hoped to increase awareness of others, particularly medical practitioner to the bureaucrat who determine the policies.
To be one of leading academic research organizations in Indonesia and international in managing and conducting clinical study according to International Conference of Harmonisation (ICH)- Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
- To improve the quality of clinical test in Indonesia
- To fulfill the needs of stakeholders in clinical test matters according to ICH-GCP
Cancer and Genetic
Cancer still becomes a big foe for public at large. A diagnosis of cancer is equivalent to death in near time. This is because cancer therapy modalities have not been able to promise full recovery but unfortunately show depressing side effects. In addition, high cost of therapy does not match with uncertain prognosis. Formation of this research group by the experts is expected to overcome these problems by focusing in cancer and genetic. It is hoped through research of biogenetics that is the key to carcinogenesis, the mechanism of this disease can be fully discovered. Therefore, initiative to find optimal therapy for with maintaining patients’ quality of life can be realized.
Members of research group include:
- Endang SRH, Anatomic Pathologist, MD, MS
- Lisnawati Sp, Anatomic Pathologist, MD
- DBudiningsih, Anatomic Pathologist, MD, MS
- Maria Francisca Ham, Anatomic Pathologist, MD, PhD
- Erwin, Oncology Surgeon, MD
- Djumhana, Internist, MD,PhD
- Marlinda AY, Otolaryngologist, MD
- Gatot Purwoto, MD, Obstetrician and Gynecologist
- Sandra Sp, Ophthalmologist, MD
- Ria Kodariah, Dra, MS
- Puspita EW, Dra, MS
Neurology and Brain Development
As the coordinator of other systems in the body, it is imperative that neurology system has a deeper attention in research. There are still a lot of problems and pathophysiology of diseases in neurology that has not yet been clearly solved. Experts in neurology has to be consistently focus in undertake research in neuroscience and brain development, especially through this research group.
To be the leading center of neuroscience research in Indonesia.
- To undertake research in various neurology diseases, from cellular level up to the clinical practice as efforts to prevent, diagnose and cure them.
- To be a pioneer in medical service base on research.
Member of this research group include:
- Fitri Octaviana, Neurologist, MD
- Yetty Ramli, Neurologist, MD
- Amanda Tiksnadi, Neurologist, MD
- Dharma Imran, Neurologist, MD
- Riwanti Estiasari, Neurologist, MD
- Tiara Aninditha, Neurologist, MD
Stem Cell and Culture Manipulation
Stem cell, nowadays, are being discuss because of its incredible potencies. Pluripotent or multipotent cells are able to transform and replace many types of cell in body and thus are able to potentially cure many diseases. Unfortunately, difficulties in funding, human resource and technology limitation have hindered the development of stem cell in Indonesia. Experts who have investigated stem cell earlier are joining this group to overcome those problems. By actively undertaking research, this research group wants to develop stem cell including culture manipulation. In addition of those two fields, this research group also contributes in molecular biology and proteomic research.
Staff in this research group include:
- Ismail, Orthopaedics and Traumatologist, MD, PhD as person in charge for stem cells related to bone and intervertebral disc
- Renindra Ananda Aman, Neurosurgeon, MD, PhD as person in charge for stem cells related to central and peripheral nervous system
- Andri Lubis, Orthopaedics and Traumatologist, MD, PhD as person in charge for stem cells related to cartilage and ligament meniscus
- Aryadi Kurniawan, Orthopaedics and Traumatologist, MD as person in charge for stem cells related to muscle and tendon
- A. Fauzi Kamal, Orthopaedics and Traumatologist, MD as person in charge for stem cells related to musculoskeletal tumor
- Rahyussalim, Orthopaedics and Traumatologist, MD as person in charge for stem cells related to vertebral bone marrow