Department of Medical Chemistry is an academic unit that conducts lecture and basic laboratory of medical chemistry that supported the Faculty Curriculum (KBK FKUI). Lectures and laboratory activities are attended by first year students. At the beginning, on top of lecturer from Indonesia, there were supporting lecturer from University of California.
Lectures conducted by the department include:
– General Chemistry
– Physical Chemistry
– Organic Chemistry
Laboratory works conducted by the department include:
– Qualitative Analysis Chemistry
– Quantitative Analysis Chemistry (titration)
– Organic Chemistry
In the later development, qualitative analysis chemistry laboratory works is replaced by physical chemistry.
On top of serving academics matters in FKUI, the department of chemistry also played role in the establishment of Chemistry Specialization FIPIA UI in 1961 (now FMIPA UI). The first dean of FIPIA, Prof. G.A. Siwabesy instructed Drs. Lauw Soan Keng (Drs. Suniar Riawan) to prepare the establishment of Chemistry Specialization FIPIA UI. At the beginning, FIPIA also used the same facilities and lecturer from Department of Chemistry FKUI. In the same year, Faculty of Dentistry UI was also established and this department also served academic activity in Faculty of Dentistry. This service continues until 2004 where there was change in the curriculum of the Faculty of Dentistry.
Department of Chemistry FKUI also contributes to establishment of chemistry department in Faculty of Medicine from other universities. These universities include FK Universitas Atmajaya, FK Ukrida, and FK Universitas Yarsi.
With the establishment of international class in 2000, Department of Chemistry FKUI also contributes in the preparation and teaching of Pre Medical Science subject and Foundation of Medical Chemistry (both lecture and laboratory works).
As the competence based curriculum (KBK FKUI) is established, lectures and laboratory works in chemistry are given to support the Molecular Biology Module that include chemistry of carbohydrate, lipid, nucleic acid, protein as well as Renal and Body Fluid Module that discuss about Acid-Base Balance. Another activity of the staff is to be the facilitator of group discussion.
Vision & Mission
Vision: To be the Department of Medical Chemistry which has strong foundation on integrated teaching, research, publication and public service as well as good responsiveness on the dynamic of development of medicine in the local, national, and international scene.
- To develop Medical Chemistry which is responsive to the problem of health and environment
- To improve the quality of teaching that supports the KBK FKUI.
- To develop research activity that promotes involvement of various biomedical and clinical fields in order to support good quality research where participation of students is encouraged.
- To give excellent service to the public with regards to Medical Chemistry
Focus of Knowledge Development
In the working meeting of the department in 2009, it is concluded that the development of chemistry which supports the Medicine and Biomedicine has a strong foundation on the competency of the staff. Development is done through research activity which has focus on four topics including:
3. Metabolomics based on principle of Biophotonic and Biospectroscopy
Public service provided by Department of Chemistry FKUI is supported by the laboratory facility, including:
1. Basic Chemistry Laboratory
– serve laboratory practical works for Molecular Biology Module FKUI
– serve laboratory practical works for Chemistry Subject FIKES
2. Environmental Chemistry Laboratory
– Serve water analysis (BOD, COD, pH, heavy metal, dll)
3. Phyto-pharmacy Laboratory
Screening of Phytochemistry from drug taken from plant
With the fast development of herbal medicine, the department provides service in early screening of drug taken from plant. The benefit of phyto-chemistry screening is to understand the active component in the drug taken from the plant.
The department is ready to help the public that has interest in drug taken from plant, especially the researchers in herbal medicine.
Weekday, 9 am to 1 pm
– Propose the sample for screening (telephone service is available)
– Fill the application form
– If the application form is accepted, sample is then brought to the Department of Chemistry FKUI
Location and Facility
Department of Chemistry FKUI is located at Salemba Raya 4, separated from the main building of FKUI at Salemba Raya 6.
- Ade Arsianti, S.Si, M.Si
- Arfiyanti, Dra, M.Kes
- Fatmawaty, Dra, M.Si
- Aryo Tedjo, S.Si, M.Si
- Rosmalena, Dra, M.Biomed
- Surya Dwira, Drs, M.Si
For more information, kindly contact:
Department of Medical Chemistry
Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Indonesia
Jl. Salemba Raya No.4
Telp./Fax: 021 31930302